Dr Arien van der Merwe MBChB (Pretoria) NHA (SA) RSPH (UK) MISMA (London)
Dr Arien van der Merwe is a medical doctor, specialising in workplace wellness, mind-body and integrative, natural medicine, stress management and longevity. Arien is an internationally renowned holistic health expert, health coach and bestselling author, a well-known and experienced public speaker, facilitator and trainer, internationally published author of 22 books and training manuals on health and wellness, and medical specialist in workplace health and wellbeing since 1998. Her latest book is ‘Managing Diabetes and Related Health Challenges’ (Afr: ‘Hanteer Diabetes en Verwante Kwale’), published by Human & Rousseau and available at bookshops and from her online health shop. She also wrote ‘Stress Solutions’ and developed the accompanying relaxation CD, ‘Stress Solutions: Relax and Unwind’.
She is registered by the Natural Healers Association (NHA) as Trainer and Ethno-Medicine Practitioner in the field of Traditional Health Care, is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Public Health (FRSPH – London) and Member of the International Stress Management Association (MISMA), UK branch.
Arien is a passionate writer and teacher and loves to share her experiences and knowledge about healing and wholeness, hoping to inspire others to live healthier, happier, more fulfilled lives.
Dr Arien writes for, and consults regularly, for many real time (e.g. Natural Medicine Journal) and online magazines and newspapers in South Africa, and appears in countless national radio and TV shows (e.g. most recently and ongoing: DStv Home Channel 176: Real Health and kykNET) as guest. Arien is the Director of Health Stress Management Gauteng (Pty) (Ltd) and Co-owner (with Anri van der Merwe) of Ariani Health Solutions, based in Faerie Glen, Pretoria and online.
For more information, please visit: www.DrArien.co.za
Dr Arien van der Merwe’s Book Blurbs
Health & Happiness
In ‘Health & Happiness’, Dr Arien explores the connection between stress and good health, and how cultivating a life where stress is managed implicitly leads to improved health. She explores the different aspects of a healthy lifestyle – ranging from exercise, relaxation, and the correct use of vitamins, minerals, amino acids and herbs, to the importance of food supplements for sportsmen and -women.
Dr Arien seamlessly incorporates her medical knowledge with a holistic lifestyle approach, and the use of complementary natural remedies. ‘Health & Happiness’ is a fountain of knowledge for those seeking to live a life that is in balance, stress managed and healthy.
Managing Diabetes and Related Health Challenges (available in English & Afrikaans)
With more than 3,5 million South Africans with diabetes alone and more than 150 million worldwide with metabolic syndrome (which includes diabetes), often undiagnosed, this book comes at exactly the right time.
Well-known South African medical doctor, author and expert on holistic integrative medicine, Dr Arien van der Merwe, explains
- precisely what diabetes is, its symptoms and the different types – 1, 2 and 3
- what causes diabetes, from physiology to emotions
- what pre-diabetes and insulin resistance are
- the link between diabetes and metabolic syndrome
- the connection between diabetes, heart disease, Alzheimer’s and depression
- which medications may be prescribed
This clear, sensible and user-friendly book provides practical solutions for managing diabetes by
- changing your lifestyle – from sleep to relaxation
- doing enough of the right kind of exercise, including interval and resistance training
- eating correctly and sensibly, applying intermittent fasting (IF)
- managing and reducing stress
- addressing underlying emotional components
Dr van der Merwe also explains the mind-body connection, and gives advice on food supplements and herbal remedies. The book brings a message of hope: Blood sugar levels, symptoms of metabolic syndrome and other diabetes-related health challenges can be managed, sometimes even reversed. It is possible to lead a normal, active and long life!
Stress: the root cause of modern-day ailments and discomfort…
To manage this insidious health challenge, diet and exercise are no longer enough. In-depth stress management and daily relaxation practise are also essential ingredients for a healthy lifestyle.
In this practical guide Dr Arien highlights:
- Stress as major contributing factor to health challenges, chronic and auto-immune disease such as heart disease, overweight, depression, anxiety, diabetes, osteoarthritis, thyroid disease, psoriasis, eczema, multiple sclerosis, Hashimoto, lupus and many others
- Stress management in a global context (the environmental, socio-economic and political climate as stressors)
- Stress in the workplace
- Stress and your family – the effect of stress on men, women and children
- The root cause of stress and how to manage it
- Actively dealing with stressful thoughts and emotions in our daily lives
Dr Arien’s integrative and whole-body, mind and spirit approach to stress makes this the definitive, hands-on guide to live life in balance and energy, managing daily stresses and strains with resilience and equanimity.
*Includes a Stress Assessment and 12 Weeks to Wellness Course!
Stress Solutions CD: Relax & Unwind (also available as MP3 tracks)
This CD was developed as a companion to the book ‘Stress Solutions’ or to use on its own. It is aimed at assisting newcomers and beginners to meditation, to learn how to quiet the active left brain with its predominantly beta waves, so that the right brain with its relaxed awareness alpha waves, can enter the field for integrative whole brain functioning. The CD starts with simple breath awareness for a few minutes, progressing gradually to a deeper relaxation.